Monday, September 27, 2010

DIY Project: Chest of Drawers


This diamond in the rough was given to me by my Grandma.  After asking my Mom, I learned it has been in the family close to 60 years and served as my Great Grandma's (Grammy Gertie to us kids) chest for years.  Before she used, the chest belonged to my Great Grandpa Riley.  I was a little over a week old when my Great Grandpa passed away.  I never ahd the oppotrunity to meet him, but after hearing stories of him I like to think I'm like him in some ways.  Apparently, he was always building something, recreating a piece, or changing the look of an item (that has to be where I got this gene from!).

This picture showcases the chest-of-drawers pretty well.  Of course, this picture wasn't taken using a flash or in direct sunlight.

Using the flash you can see the scratches.  That's okay it adds character (plus it gives me a good idea for a project).

I really love the drawer pulls.

I have an idea for drawer lining, but I had to snap a picture of the old lining before removing it.

So detailed... love it!

This card in my Grammy Gertie's handwriting was found wedged in one of the drawers.  I can't quite make out what it says, but I know her writing anywhere!

I also was given this picture of Grammy Gertie, she was such a pretty lady.  I think it's only fitting that she sits on top of the piece.  (I have a great idea to update the frame, more to come later)

It has been brought to my attention (ahem! Thanks Mom!) that I have lots and lots of projects to do.  It makes me happy, but I've realized that I might need to finish my current ones before starting any new ones.  So, my idea for this chest and for the frame will have to be placed on hold for now. (sad face)

1 comment:

  1. Love. Mid-century. Furniture. Better not tell me where you live or you might not ever see it again! ;))))

    ReplyDelete